Return to Markham maps & Fish Dam Road

Return to Fish Dam Road webpage

 

Section 2: Cates Creek to Stone’s Creek

By David Southern

 

JOHN LUTTERELL, HUGH WOOD, LURARY CRABTREE, NATHANIEL ROCHESTER, JOHN TAYLOR, WILLIAM CABE, ALEXANDER BORLAND, JANE BORLAND, EDWARD STONE

     John Lutteral (Luttrell) was a lawyer and patriot (killed at the battle of Cane Creek), and his grant on the Eno River was transferred to James Hogg three months after its purchase. Either he bought it on speculation for resale, or he was Hogg’s advance agent. (See the NC historical marker for James Hogg on Churton Street near the new courthouse.) Nathaniel Rochester’s house still stands on West King Street (the old Trading Path; see his NC marker) in Hillsborough. Rochester relocated to upstate New York, and the city of Rochester is named for him. William Cabe and John Cabe were brothers, sons of Barnaby Cabe, a teamster and possible subject of a folksong, “Barney McCabe.” Joe Liles photographed William Cabe’s tombstone last winter, and an earlier b&w image of it is in the 1986 Eno Calendar. John Taylor, a Quaker surveyor, was a son of James Taylor, likewise a surveyor and land speculator. Jane Borland had four sons, all with names beginning with A: Alexander, Archibald, Absolom, and Andrew [needs double-checking as one might have been Abraham]. Andrew was a surveyor. The Borlands (Bourlands, Bolands, Bolings, Bolins) were Scots, interrelated with Strayhorns and Craigs. Edward Stone disappeared from the records before the American Revolution, but his two large Granville grants are memorialized in Stones (sometimes called Stoney) Creek.

 

Granville grants:

Hugh Woods, 315 acres, 20 December 1753, on both sides of Spirit Branch

Edward Stone, 395 acres, 12 March 1755, mentions “the Governor’s line” (referring

            to the 640 acre tract Gabriel Johnston had inherited from Chief Justice William

            Smith who died in 1743. The governor’s tract was sold to James Taylor, the

surveyor, who sold it in turn to William Few. Few sold the half on the eastern side

of the Eno River to Barnaby Cabe, and Cabe’s Ford is named for him and/or his

son, William)

Edward Stone, 574 acres, 21 January 1761, adjoining Abraham Nelson

 

State of North Carolina grants:

John Lutterall, 640 acres, 3 September 1779, on the south side of Eno River, bounded of

the south by James Hogg’s line and by land formerly Connor’s, on the west by  Fannen (Fanning), and on the east by Watson and Woods. “Beginning at a beech at the bank of Eno and the mouth of Cates Creek . . . ”

Nathaniel Rochester, 640 acres, 13 March 1780, on Eno River bounded by Nail (Neal),

            Carson, “and his own deeded land,” including improvements purchased of Bryan

            Crosbie

John Taylor, 217 acres, 10 July 1780, adjoining James Watson, William Crabtree, John

            Estes, and Patrick McCulloh

William Cabe, 100 acres, 6 June 1799, adjoining Henry Watters, John Taylor, Alexander

            Borland, and his own land

William Cabe, 400 acres, 16 June 1795, adjoining Alexander Borland and the widow

Borland

Alexander Borland, 250 acres, 13 March 1780, on the north side of Stones Creek,

including improvements made by William Campbell

Jane Borland, 177 acres, 25 October 1785, bounded by land of Alexander Bowling [sic]

            and James Milner, deceased; including improvements made by Thomas Trammel

 

Orange County deeds:

53 / 72 Alfred Pratt to George Pratt, 100 acres and household furniture, 21 November

            1891, on the Fish Dam Road adjacent Henry McCauley, James W. Crabtree,

James Webb, et al. “George Pratt is to provide for the said Alfred Pratt a

comfortable maintenance and support during his the said Alfred’s life furnishing

him with clothes, shoes, foods, all necessary attention in sickness, medicines . . .”

52 / 225 Alfred Pratt to trustees of Missionary Baptist Church, 1 acre (the site of present

            Piney Grove Baptist Church where it is presumed Alfred Pratt and his son,

George, are buried)

 

Orange County plats:

1 / ? B. N. Duke Farm, 2406.7 acres, ca. 1920

            This plat in four sections (each a page of plat book 1) covers a huge tract that

includes the Southern Railway, Stones Creek, old NC 10, the village of University

Station, and sections of four ancient roads including Fish Dam Road along present

US 70

 

Benjamin Newton Duke (1955-1929) was Washington Duke’s son and James Buchanan Duke’s brother. In the various Duke family concerns, he assumed the role of treasurer and was the family member whose responsibility included the dispersal of philanthropy, a tradition of stewardship continued to this day by his granddaughter, Mary Semans. His townhouse, Four Acres, was at the corner of Duke and Chapel Hill Streets in Durham, the location now of North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance Company. He assembled this “gentleman’s farm” west of Hillsborough from numerous original grants mostly associated with the pioneer Craig, Borland, and Strayhorn families. Locators on this composite plat are Old NC 10, called here the “National Highway”; the North Carolina Rail Road, now leased by the Norfolk Southern company; and Stone’s Creek, which is bridged by that railroad near the village of University Station. Four colonial roads are shown within the lines of this great tract: the old Fayetteville Road, the old Hillsboro Road, the old Oxford Road which crossed the Eno River at Cabe’s ford, and the Fish Dam Road. Of the latter, this section of its track was subsumed by the building of US 70 later in the 1920s