Occoneechee Speedway

Photo courtesy of: H.O.S.T. (note the Eno River in the bottom right corner of the image)

Occoneechee Speedway was one of the first two NASCAR tracks to open and is the only track remaining from the inaugural 1949 season. The site is now heavily forested in 40 year old pines and sycamores. Visible still are the grandstands which once held thousands of enthusiastic fans and the mile–long oval track where such legends as Fireball Roberts, Richard Petty, Ned Jarrett, Louise Smith and Junior Johnson once spent their Sundays competing in the “Strictly Stock” and Grand National series. This site is one of only three race tracks on the National Register of Historic Places.

Classical American Homes Preservation Trust and Preservation North Carolina have opened to the public the Historic Occoneechee Speedway Trail (HOST). This 44 acre site with 3 miles of trail is located at 320 Elizabeth Brady Road in Hillsborough, NC and is open to the public during daylight hours every day. It is free of charge.

Classical American Homes also owns Ayr Mount, a beautiful Federal-style home in Hillsborough. Located on the grounds of Ayr Mount is Poet’s Walk, a beautiful mile-long trail that crosses through woods and meadows and meanders along parts of the Eno River. Ayr Mount is located on St. Mary’s Road in Hillsborough.

Both trails are open to the public–come and enjoy these wonderful parts of Hillsborough.

External Links

Historic Speedway Group
Race Results Occoneechee Speedway 1949-1968